I am sure there are very few people in this world who would not agree that peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven. The following recipe is for a delicious snack sized sweet that in my experience is like catnip for pregnant women (please be aware though that some doctors recommend avoiding peanut products whilst pregnant). My family calls this recipe ‘Homemade Reece’s Pieces’.
1/2cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
112 grams dairy milk cooking chocolate (more chocolate may be required depending on how many little fingers find their way into the bowl. I generally at an extra 50grams or so to account for this.)
1. Mix peanut butter and golden syrup together in a small bowl until well combined.
2. Add the rice cereal and mix again being careful not to completely smash the cereal.
3. Shape into a log (3cm diameter and about 20cm long) and wrap in cling wrap, or using a very heavy duty piping set (the mixture is very thick) place dollops of the mix onto a lined tray.
4. Place the mix in the fridge to chill. (After chilling, cut the log into approx 6mm slices.)
5. Melt the chocolate and dip the peanut butter pieces in it allowing the excess chocolate to drip away. Place on waxed paper to harden and then store in the fridge.
I have learned the hard way not to let people know when I am going to make this recipe as they are lining up at the kitchen door before I’ve even started. Whenever I make these sweets I barely have time to let the chocolate set before I’m unceremoniously shoved aside by my family in their haste to enjoy the treat. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.